Don’t be scared of a whole fish! This grilled fish Psari Skaras is a classic Greek dish which looks super impressive, but is actually quite simple to cook. Mediterraneans love cooking fish whole as it is more economical and retains all the flavours through the process. A whole fish feeds a family of four as a main meal, or is perfect as the feature dish for your next dinner party. It is beautifully paired with a vibrant and juicy tomato salad, or if you’re feeding more, add dishes of beans and Greek roasted lemon potatoes. An incredibly healthy and nutritious way to cook your fish. High in protein, low in carbohydrates, low in sugar and low in sodium as well as being gluten and dairy free. This recipe is from our cookbook Mediterranean Eating, and it brings to life a lovely whole salmon or bream with the the delicious natural flavours of lemon and oregano.
Whole Fish Prep Tips
If you’re nervous about scaling and gutting a whole fish, then become friends with your local fishmonger! Give them a call in the morning and order your whole fish so they can have it cleaned up and ready for you in the afternoon. That way, you have none of the dirty work, and all of the joy of cooking it. It also means you know you’re getting a lovely fresh fish selected by the experts! We often feature a whole fish in our cooking demonstrations, and our friends from Feast on Fish in Carindale do this for us regularly.
If you have time, and want to give it a try yourself. Here’s what to do:
- Scaling. Using the back of a knife, run it against the body of the fish, working from the tail towards the head until it is free from scales.
- Gutting. About 3/4 of the way down the underside of the fish (a bit before the tail), you’ll want to take a very sharp knife and make an incision and cut up towards the first fin. You are exposing the belly of the fish, and will then need to reach in and remove the innards and organs from inside this cavity (this is the icky bit). You can rinse the area a little with water to get a better view and ensure all the organs are removed.
Grilled Whole Fish – Psari Skaras
From Mediterranean Eating: Cook, Eat, Live by Two Greek Girls Cooking
- 700g small whole fish (Bream or Salmon)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Oregano sprigs
- 2 lemons (1 juiced lemon and 1 sliced lemon)
- Pinch of salt
- 2tbs chopped parsley
- 1 tbs water
- Remove fins, scrape off scales and clean fish (see above for tips). Score fish diagonally on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper..
- Place sprigs of oregano and slices of lemon inside the fish cavity.
- Place under a very hot grill. When the fish begins to brown, brush with oil and some lemon juice, turn and base the other side of the fish.
- Turn again once or twice, until the fish is cooked through. Place on a hot dish.
- Whisk the rest of the oil, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of water, salt and parsley. Pour the mixture over the fish.
A wow dish that’s healthy, easy and delicious!
Learn how to cook, eat, live like a traditional Mediterranean
Want to get more ideas for living a healthy lifestyle incorporating the Mediterranean Diet? We have an upcoming Expo being held in Brisbane on Sunday October 21. We’ll be showcasing the best of the Mediterranean way of living and eating and why it’s so great for your health. We can’t wait to see you there!MEDITERRANEAN DIET EXPO